My parents’ divorce left me bitter towards even the mere thought of marriage, that it took 4 years of dating before I made the decision to marry my husband. Have you been scorned by divorce? Have you witnessed couples who are stuck with contentment in their marriage, but never saturated by the pure joy marriage has to offer?
That is why I find it important as a single or married person to use God’s wisdom and Scripture to protect this sacred covenant. Although my scars have been healed from my parents’ divorce, every now and again I am hidden in a place of fear that perhaps my marriage may go down that road.
I must remember the power of God’s word & the Holy Spirit to continue to honor what God holds dear to his heart.
After almost 4 years of marriage, the Holy Spirit pointed out ways where I may have neglected my marriage or where there has been a lack of communication. It’s true they say marriage takes work. However, prayer has the power to make that load lighter, giving us endurance and unconditional love towards our spouses like never before.
I pray these 12 scriptures will bless your marriage with guidance, favor, abundance, wealth, and joy. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!
- “To the married I give this command…a wife must not separate from her husband” 1 Corinthians 7:6
- “My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery, of God, namely, Christ” Colossians 1:22
- “Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord” Colossians 2:2
- “Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them” Colossians 3:23
Where God refers to our bodies in marriage:
- “The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife” 1 Corinthians 7:5
- “A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.” Proverbs 12:4
- “A foolish child is a father’s ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like the constant dripping of a leaky roof.” Proverbs 19:13
- “Each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:33
- “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.” 1 Peter 3:19
- “Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.”
Regarding Seeking Counsel:
- “The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.” Proverbs 12:15
- “Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise” Proverbs 19:20